Principal Hunt on Aug. 28 sent a Welcome Letter via email (below). You may also wish to read:
- Principal Hunt’s earlier welcome message posted on the school website.
- WMS STEMbyTAF Director Krishna Richardson-Daniels’ welcome message posted on the school website, or archived here.
Dear Washington Middle School Scholars and Families,
Welcome to the 2020-21 school year! We are excited to begin the year and eager to engage with our wonderful scholars and families. Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, scholars will begin the school year learning online. There will be no students at the Washington Middle School building at this time. Our teachers are eager to get back to in-person learning because we know that online learning is not the preferred model. We are committed to making this experience as great as possible for our families, and to strengthen our commitment to providing our students with high-quality instruction that promotes academic and social-emotional excellence. We are also committed to supporting an exciting and fun virtual learning experience
As I enter my second year as the principal of Washington Middle School, I am honored and excited to continue the work around racial equity that will lead to equitable access for all students. Although this will be an untraditional start of the year, I want to ensure scholars and families that although we are not in the building, we will still have an opportunity to meet and engage outside of classroom time. I am excited to see all our scholars return the first days of school and will be announcing new and creative ways to continually connect to our scholars and families.
New Parent Orientation, Friday, September 4th (9:05 – 9:35 am), for parents/guardians who are new to Washington (all grade levels). This event will be a time to learn more about our school and meet some staff. I hope you can join us.
Reminder of Important Dates:
- 6th Grade Town Hall – Monday, August 31, 6–7 pm
- New Family Orientation – Friday, September 4th, 9:05–9:35 am
- First day of school for ALL STUDENTS – Friday, September 4th.
- 7th and 8th Grade Town Hall – Wednesday, September 9th, 6–7 pm
The following is additional information that will help us all get off to a smooth start this school year:
- Bell Schedule – This year we will start at 9 a.m. and end at 3:50 p.m. A detailed bell schedule will be shared with families and posted on our website and WMS app on Wednesday, September 2nd.
- Student Schedules – Schedules will be available to view on the Source on Thursday, September 3rd. Please note students and families will receive information about our Strong Start prior to school starting as their schedule is not necessary during the first few days of school.
- Communication – Our Administrative Team goal is to schedule frequent virtual meetings during the first month of school. In the upcoming days, look for communication from me as more details are finalized.
- Start of School Forms – Please fill out the 20-21 forms to be returned that apply to your student. Please read over all additional start of school forms and information as well:
Please submit completed documents to email@example.com
If you prefer a paper copy please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laptop Distribution – Washington Middle School Laptop Distribution will be Tuesday, September 1st, 10 a.m.–2 p.m. and Wednesday, September 2nd, 2–5 p.m. If you have a scholar who will be brand new to Washington in the fall, please come pick up a laptop during one of those times. If you are a 7th or 8th grader who missed the Spring laptop distribution, please pick up at this time as well.
- School Supplies: Below are a list of recommended school supplies. If your student needs support with school supplies, they can pick them up, Tuesday, September 1st, 10 a.m.–2 p.m. and Wednesday, September 2nd, 2–5 p.m.
We hope that scholars can bring school supplies, including:
- A three-ring binder
- Two Composition Notebooks (7 ½ x 9 ¾ in. – 100 sheets – wide ruled)
- Five three-hole punched folders (to go in the binder)
- Three-hole punched lined paper
- Attendance Policy: Attending school every day is very important. Punctuality and regular attendance are top priorities at Washington and help us to make sure every scholar is successful.
- Counselors: The counseling staff are available for parent/guardian consultation. Please call for an appointment with the grade-level counselor, or to simply ask a question.
- Ms. McKinney email@example.com.
- You may also call the main office at 206.252.2600 to contact our support team.
For now, please enjoy the rest of your summer. All of us here at Washington Middle School are very much looking forward to seeing you soon. I am confident that with all of us working as a cohesive team, each Washington scholar will excel this year—let’s have an outstanding year together!
Katrina M. Hunt, Principal
Go Jr. Huskies!!